I read this scripture recently, Jesus said, “If you continue in my Word, then you are truly disciples of mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” John 8:31-32 NASB
It started me thinking about the amazing revelation of truth available to us when we spend time in the Word of God. Who doesn’t want to be enlightened by knowing the truth about something important to them? Who doesn’t need help facing or managing the sting of life’s realities? Who doesn’t look for ways to navigate the pathways of confusion in their minds, or seek freedom from a haunting thought? Who wouldn’t benefit from spiritual enlightenment that ultimately leads to a freer state of mind.
When we dedicate time to faithfully read the Bible, we connect with God in a deeper way, and we are given insight into things like never before. I initially experienced this years ago as a result of a decision I made to invest more time in my relationship with the Lord. I’m not a morning person, so I would normally read the Bible at night. However, to show God that I meant business I set my alarm for 5:00 a.m., grabbed coffee and Bible, and headed to the porch. What I encountered from that new routine was both informative and transformative!
- I became captivated by the person of Jesus Christ. The more I read, the more fascinated I became. Jesus exhibits disparate characteristics that are not typically found in any one person, e.g. justice and mercy, majesty and humility, judgment and compassion. He is entirely human, entirely God, and exclusively unique. The Word of God revealed the real Jesus, not the one who I had imagined; and I fell in love with him. I fell in love with God.
- Jesus became a trusted companion, which meant a great deal to a person who carried the scars and distrust of betrayal. As I studied his fidelity, I began to welcome him into the secret places of my heart, unreserved and unafraid.
- I received timely guidance, wisdom, and even caution from the Lord as his words became personal and virtually conversational. God’s revelations of truth were staggering as I learned to hear his voice through my eyes on the page.
Abraham Lincoln said, “I am busily engaged in the study of the Bible. I believe it is God’s Word because it finds me where I am.” Those words, “… it finds me where I am,” highlight well how deeply personal this journey is.
These days I mostly read on a laptop or cell phone app, because they are so easily accessible. It doesn’t matter what means you use, or where you start on the page. Just set time aside to let God know you mean business, and experience your own revelation of truth!
John 1:14 NLV Christ became human flesh and lived among us. We saw his shining-greatness. This greatness is given only to a much-loved Son from his Father. He was full of loving-favor and truth.
Psalm 9:10 NIV Those who know your name trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 NIV All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Free online Bibles:
- Biblegateway www.biblegateway.com
- You Version https://www.youversion.com/the-bible-app/
- Online Bible https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/online-bible/id689283051?mt=8